Handling Questions Online Course Overview
Handling questions effectively is an excellent opportunity to ensure your presentation meets your audience’s needs. Learn how to encourage questions and explore how to prepare so you can respond effectively and with confidence.
Presentations today are usually followed up with a question and answer session, or questions are encouraged throughout the event. For some people, this is the most exciting part of the presentation but for others it is the worst. In fact, many confident presenters say that they purposely avoid the question and answers part of a presentation altogether or they seek ways to avoid the ‘difficult’ questions. But dealing with questions in a presentation is a skill which anyone can master and can be the distinguishing factor for a presenter. Understanding that if people ask you questions, even hostile ones, it’s not to trip you up but because they genuinely want the answer.
Answering questions from your audience requires preparation, if you’re going to make the most of the opportunity. This online course will help users to be ready for any questions that they may face. Brainstorming possible questions is probably the most effective way of preparing. Ask yourself: “What would I be asking if I was sitting in the audience?”
Here are some ways that you can ensure you are fully prepared to tackle any question that comes your way:
- Have you covered your main points thoroughly? Are there any angles you have overlooked that could come up in the Q&A? Brainstorm with colleagues.
- What have you cut from your presentation? Have you edited out any information that might come up?
- Have you reviewed your audience’s needs? Do they have any “hot buttons”? Be ready for questions on those topics.
- Are you deliberately avoiding a particular subject? If so, be ready for questions on it!
- Ask yourself if there’s one thing you hope no one will ask, then prepare an answer for it!
This online Handling Questions effectively course helps equip delegates with the skills necessary to ensure question and answer sessions meet those audience needs and deliver an effective bridge between their needs and your content. It comes with a post test so you can check your knowledge and understanding as well as a downloadable eBook which contains tips to help you be fully prepared too.
Handling Questions Effectively eLearning Outcomes
- Encourage your audience to ask questions
- How to prepare for questions
- How to answer questions effectively
- Use questions as an opportunity to tailor your presentation to audience needs
- Prepare for questions and indicate that you are open to questioning
- Plan when to answer questions
- Value every question
- Check your understanding of the question, think before you speak, and answer as clearly as possible
- Be sincere, admit if you do not have the answer